If you want to make the life of your Shih Tzu even happier, there are five things you can do on a daily basis that will help boost their spirits. It does not take much time, but by implementing each technique you can help your Shih Tzu live a longer, happier life.
1.Be Consistent: This may seem small at first, but one of the things that may upset dogs the most is not being consistent with the rules of the house. This means that you should keep your interactions with the dog as consistent as possible to avoid confusion. For example, if you toss a treat to your dog after dinner, then you better keep that up at every dinner. Other examples include the following.
- Set boundaries
- Follow the rules consistently every day
- Do not have different rules for other dogs in the home
- Punishment should be even-handed and consistent
2.Mental Exercise: Basically, this means that you should create an interactive environment for your Shih Tzu where they must figure out things. The more they use their mind, the more active and happier they become. Such activities can start by playing the game of “find the treats”. But it can go further with activities such as the following.
- Teaching old and new dogs tricks
- Sniff breaks during walks
- Playing games
- Creating an obstacle course and more
You can combine mental and physical activities to create a great daily experience for your Shih Tzu. The goal is that at the end of the day they are tired because of all the fun they have enjoyed.
3.Physical Exercise: Just like people, dogs need to exercise daily as well. A Shih Tzu that does not exercise will quickly become bored, despondent, and even frustrated because of the lack of input. Plus, they can express their frustration by chewing on the furniture or barking incessantly just to burn off the excess energy.
You can give your Shih Tzu a good workout by taking them for a daily walk, but there are other ways to get them more active.
- Playing catch, frisbee, or chasing the stick
- A game of tug of war or a flirt pole
- Wrestling with your Shih Tzu in a playful way
All of these activities will help your Shih Tzu become happier and healthier, which may mean avoiding or downplaying future health issues.
4.Keep It Fun: If you are training your Shih Tzu, then make the experience as fun as possible. Training your Shih Tzu to do new tricks should be something they enjoy doing. So, keep it light and fun by doing the following.
- Use treats as rewards
- Speak kindly and use positive reinforcement
- Be patient and let your dog discover the answers
- Keep the sessions short
By doing all these things while training your Shih Tzu, you will have a dog that looks forward to each new activity.
5. Give your Shih Tzu a job. This usually means a daily routine outside of exercise that can engage their mind. It could be part of the daily walk, playing, or just a game of tug of war. Giving your Shih Tzu a job can help make them quite happy for the rest of their lives.