in ,

3 Things to Do When Your Dog May Be Poisoned

Poisoned Dog

Although the digestive system of you and your dog are somewhat similar, there are several common foods and beverages that they should not consume. Seemingly harmless items such as wine, chocolate cake, and even tulips can be poisonous to your dog. Understanding what foods and beverages can be dangerous is important in keeping your dog safe.

Foods that are Not Safe

What follows is a list of common food and beverage items that are not safe for your pooch or any dog to consume.

  • Alcohol
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes & Raisins
  • Macadamia Nuts

Another poison to your dog is Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener used in many sugar-free products such as gum. To be safe, you limit what you feed your pooch to food made for dogs.


There are many household products that you should keep stored securely and away from your dog. These are mostly cleaning products along with lawn and care items that when ingested may cause serious complications. The worst is antifreeze because it has a sweet taste that makes it more likely your dog will consume it.

Dangerous Plants

There are certain plants that are poisonous to dogs that are often found in the yard or garden. If you own a dog, then be sure to clear these plants from your property.

  • Azaleas
  • Daffodils
  • Rhododendrons
  • Sago Palms
  • Tulips

While most dogs do not eat plants, it is better to be safe than sorry by keeping them out of your yard or inside your home.

Stow Away Medications

Just as you should not use someone else’s prescription medications, so too should you secure them so that your Shih Tzu does not consume them. This includes over-the-counter medications and treatments such as Advil, ibuprofen, and even fish oil supplements. Make sure you store all medications in a cabinet or location that makes it impossible for your Shih Tzu to reach them.

In addition to the aforementioned items, you should also store insecticides and other poisons securely, so your dog does not accidentally find them.


While poisons may affect your dog in different ways, they are usually sudden and come without warning. If you see any of these symptoms that seemingly arise from nowhere, you will need to get your dog emergency treatment.

  • Collapsing
  • Diarrhea
  • Gums that are discolored
  • Coughing that does not stop
  • Odd behavior that is unpredictable
  • No appetite
  • Stool that is black and tarries in nature
  • General weakness

If you see any of these signs, especially if they suddenly arise, then the first thing to do is remain calm. Collect any vomit or stool samples which may help emergency responders identify the type of poisoning your dog is experiencing.

The next step is to call for help if you have not done that already. You can call your vet or ASCPA and their Animal Poison Control Center for further information. Be sure to tell vet or responder about the age, breed, gender, and weight of your dog. They will tell you what to do next.

Can Your Shih Tzu Catch the Flu?

Challenge Shih Tzus Mind

Six Great Ways to Challenge Your Shih Tzus Mind